Chinook Learning Services - return to homepage high school upgrading | we are serious about your success
Follow Chinook on twitter Friend Chinook on facebook
cbe.ab.casite mapstudent login

contact high school upgrading

e |
t | 403-777-7200
f | 403-777-7889


Equivalency Diploma


A person 18 years or older who has been out of school for at least ten consecutive months may receive a High School Equivalency Diploma. This may be accomplished through a combination of high school courses and additional credits granted for maturity, approved adult education courses, private study or extensive travel.

Obtaining an Equivalency Diploma

A person must acquire 100 credits as set forth below:

Minimum of 60 credits gained through classroom instruction:

  • A high school course in mathematics | 5 Credits
  • A high school course in science | 3 Credits
  • Grade 12 English | 5 Credits
  • One other Grade 12 course, other than Grade 12 English | 5 Credits
  • Additional high school courses | 42 Credits

Minimum of 40 additional credits through:

  • Additional high school courses
  • Credits for approved adult education courses under recognized agencies (e.g., public colleges, institutes of technology, extension divisions of universities, adult evening classes)
  • A maximum of 15 credits for maturity according to the following:

    Age 21-24 (inclusive) | 5 Credits
    Age 25-29 (inclusive) | 10 Credits
    Age 30 and over | 15 Credits

  • A maximum of 5 credits for extensive travel.
  • A maximum of 5 credits for extensive reading or private study

See Student Services for more information.



Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional